My Top Ten International Cities

With the world recovering from Covid, albeit slowly, international leisure travel is coming back. I, for one, welcome this return to something like normal. Here, I want to share with you ten cities that I have been lucky enough to visit, and what I like about each of them. There are hundreds of amazing places in our world, and my travels haven’t taken me to enough of them yet, but I hope this helps spark your wanderlust all the same.

Toronto

This time of year, Toronto is one of my favorite cities that are within driving distance of the US. Sitting on the north shore of Lake Ontario, summer evenings in Toronto are usually cool and perfect for walking.

For me, aside from the weather, the thing that brings me back is the food scene. Depending on what you’re in the mood for, there’s something world-class, and usually affordable, right nearby. In my opinion, Toronto’s Chinatown has some of the best offerings in the business, though I have yet to find a bad restaurant. Also, since you’re in Canada for this one, make sure to make Tim Horton’s your morning stop for coffee: we don’t have many of these in the US and I highly recommend it.

London

London was my first international city, and ever since the first trip there, over a decade ago, I’ve been hooked. The United Kingdom is just foreign enough to feel different, and it’s a great start for people looking to get into international travel.

For me, the thing about London is the history and age of the place. It’s been a town or city since the Roman empire, and there’s a story behind every cobblestone. The museums all over the city display this rich history, and I plan to spend a lot of time in many of them when I get the chance.

Also, for Americans, look the opposite way you think you should before you cross the street to avoid being hit by a car.

Aberdeen

Technically in the anglophone world, Aberdeen, located in the North of Scotland, is one of the most brutally beautiful places I have ever been. To get there, I recommend driving from one of my other favorites, Glasgow, to which I will return shortly.

The Scottish countryside, with its rolling hills and jagged granite peaks, gives you a sense of pause and awe on its many cloudy days. Once the cold has gotten to you, pop into a pup and have either a pint of Guinness or, if you’re in need of more serious warmth, one of the many, many whiskies on offer in most of the country.

Berlin

As a capital, cultural center, and place to eat and drink well, Berlin stands out and could fill years of your time in exploration. But, for me, it’s the history that takes me there.

Berlin is where a lot of the 20th century came to a head. In particular, the end of the Cold War is the most visible in the city today. After you check out the tourist spot in Checkpoint Charlie, keep walking. You’ll see that the shadows of the Berlin Wall are still around, and you can see the old, Soviet-style architecture around the city. It serves as a stark reminder that we’re a part of history, not removed from it.

Glasgow

As someone from in between Detroit and Chicago, I’ll always have a soft spot for industrial cities. For me, Glasgow felt like home as soon as I got off the plane. Well, out of the airport: some fellow on his bachelor party tip was having a rough time with his hangover in the airport bathroom.

The city itself is a bit grungy and rough around the edges. That’s why I like it: it leaves behind the sometimes pretentious atmosphere of London and is instead utterly and unapologetically itself.

Crans-Montana

This little Swiss skiing town is known best for its slopes. But, I recommend visiting in the summer. There are lots of golf courses around for those looking for some outdoor activities, as well as ample hiking.

What brings me to Crans-Montana is just how small and quiet it is. In the early mornings, as the sun is coming up over the mountains that surround the small town, Crans-Montana is one of the more peaceful places I’ve ever been.

Zermatt

This Swiss city is a little more on the radar of tourists than Crans-Montana is, so it’s usually full of Americans in the summer, but it’s nonetheless a gorgeous city.

From town, you can take a tram up the Matterhorn, something that I highly recommend. For casual hikers like me, I recommend taking the first tram up in the morning and then hiking down the Matterhorn back into town: it’s a great workout and makes getting a beer at lunch in Zermatt feel that much more satisfying.

Lucerene

Lucerne is easily my favorite major city in Switzerland. It’s a gorgeous, modern city full of things to do and see, situated on the side of a lake. But, that lake is nestled between mountains, making it home to breathtaking views everywhere you look.

Along the lake, there are a few spots where old, marble steps reach right down in the water. One of my favorite things to do is to get a friend, some snacks, and a few beverages and watch the sunset right by the lake.

Prague

Prague is one of the more interesting cities on the planet. The architecture is distinctly Western European, but the culture is a lot more Eastern European. In terms of food and activities, there’s tons to do and see here, as the Czechs are always open to trying new things.

Here, exploring the sprawling city that’s always been at the crossroads of East and West is endless fun for me: there aren’t many places in Europe you can find a gun range, a French cafe, and an Italian bistro on one, old, cobblestone street.

Cologne

This German city on the Rhine borrows a lot from French architecture but is distinctly German in its culture, food, and overall climate.

Sadly, I only got to spend about a day there several years ago. But, at that time, I started to get the sense that Cologne is a rich city in terms of culture and history while being a little more off the radar of tourists than, say, Berlin. It’s a place I want to return to soon.

These are my top ten international cities based on my experiences and travels so far. Writing this gave me a serious case of wanting to buy a plane ticket, and I hope it did the same for you. We have a cool world out there, time to get back to exploring it.
About author
G
Garrett is a writer and commentator based in the South. His areas of expertise lie in cooking, fashion, and the outdoors among others. He has been writing and educating professionally for years, and enjoys creating online discourses around positively masculine spaces.

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Article information

Author
GCurtis
Views
Last update

More in Hobbies & Activities

More from GCurtis