Ten Easy Ways to Improve Your Living Space

Over the past few years, I’ve spent a lot of time at home, between working remotely, teaching from my home office, and, finally, wrapping up my first book-length project. Given the nature of my work, as well as long-lasting pandemics that might force us all inside for a long time, I want to take some time right now to share ten things I think you should consider improving your living space.

Lamps

Even the nicest overhead light fixtures can feel more than a little bit institutional if they’re all that you have. Instead, I recommend lighting your space, especially in the evenings, with lamps that are at or below your eye level.

That way, the light will be a lot softer on your eyes, and thus helps your space feel much more like a home and less like an office. This is vital, especially, if you’re one of the many folks who have a hard time relaxing after working from home all day.

Rugs

Most new homes, whether bought or rented, seem to have more and more hard surfaces for floors. Most of the time, I love that for maintenance and appearance. But, a cold tile floor in the morning, or while you’re trying to enjoy an evening cocktail, is sort of a bummer.

I have a massive rug that sits under my couch as well as my coffee table: it’s the only clear indication other than the furniture and the lamps that my living room is a living room, but it makes the distinction clear enough to make it feel like a much more lived-in, homey space.

A Better Shower Curtain

Your plain white shower curtain is probably old and yellowing anyway. Ditch it for something with a more artistic pattern or a warmer color.

Thinking along the same lines as the lamps: we have to do what we can to make our spaces feel fun and inviting, and taking advantage of the privacy of a shower to get some alone time to preserve your sanity is one excellent space we can improve upon.

Candles

A home smelling nice is not something that should be labeled as feminine. While my partner did certainly introduce me to the idea of scented candles, I’ve found a few that I really enjoy and I now find myself burning them most days.

For work, a fresh scent like mint or pine is invigorating, while I like woody scents when it’s time to relax and get ready to get some quality rest. Nowadays, most major stores have a whole aisle of candles: take a sniff of a few and pick one out for your living room to make it feel a lot more cozy and humane.

Throw Blankets

Without some nice throw blankets, beds and couches look like the room has been staged by cheap house flippers looking to make out with their cash before the housing market pops.

I have two throw blankets that I love: one is an old blanket my dad got in Montana about half a century ago. Another was a gift from a friend before she moved out of the country. In either case, they’re not just warm blankets, but also remind me of people that have mattered in my life on a daily basis, which can make quarantine feel a little less lonely.

Display Your Personality

I happen to be a car guy. Thus, I keep my racing helmet and some MOPAR plaques on the wall along with two models I’ve gotten as gifts over the years. In teaching online, I’ve had a few students bring it up, and it’s led us to talk on a much more personal level, which makes classes better for everyone.

Thus, I recommend putting more of your hobbies and personality on the walls and shelves of your space: it’s more than okay to show off a little bit of who you are and what you’ve done.

Support a Local Artist

Wherever you live, I’m sure there are some local artists who are making awesome stuff that you’d love to put on your wall. Instead of getting some generic piece that anyone can get off of the internet, think about saving up a little bit and buying local.

My mom, for example, has a big woodcutting of our home state, made in that state and from local wood. It’s a nice reminder of where we came from and looks a lot cooler than the Ikea dock picture most people have in their homes.

Add Some Books

A home without books is no place I want to be, and I’m of the mind, even in the 21st century, that paper books are the best way to get knowledge into one’s head. Thus, I recommend taking the opportunity to get as many books as you can read, and proudly display them.

As an academic, I am also, admittedly, a book addict. But, making the many bookshelves a central theme of my living room has also given the space an air of sophistication that you can’t really accomplish without them.

Make Something Yourself

Although I did construction for years prior to becoming a writer and academic, I was never much of a furniture maker. But, when I was moving into a new place, I decided to bite off a bit more than I can chew and made my own butcher block out of 2x4s and had a friend bend some steel for legs.

Now, I have what is easily the heaviest coffee table I’ve ever seen and it always gives me a story to tell when people come over.

Design Your Space

Above all, the big takeaway I want you to have here is that it’s important, and not that awfully difficult, to design your space with some purpose. With just a little bit of effort, and often not much money, you, too, can make your living spaces feel a lot more like someplace you want to spend some serious time. Ideally, you’ll take at least one of these tips to heart once the holidays calm down a bit.
About author
G
Garrett is a writer and commentator based in the South. His areas of expertise lie in cooking, fashion, and the outdoors among others. He has been writing and educating professionally for years, and enjoys creating online discourses around positively masculine spaces.

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Article information

Author
GCurtis
Views
Last update

More in Hobbies & Activities

More from GCurtis