Grilling & Cooking advice for the best steak?

• Admin
so what is your personal advice for the best steak? here are my points, but I'm open minded to improving.
  • quality meat
  • only Salt & Pepper (S&P)
  • Salt OK before, during, and after
  • Pepper only OK towards end - you don't want Pepper to bitter
  • highest grill temp you can get
  • monitor meat temps
here is our $37 a pound Prime Filets we did last night.

20201108Steak.jpg

digman1

Reaction score
I don't have a great history of grilling and getting things just right. My son convinced me to try the reverse sear method, and I am sold on it.

You bake your steak at 275 until the internal temp gets to 125. Take it out to rest for 10 whole minutes, making an aluminum tent over the steaks. While resting, heat up a cast iron pan to a high temp. Then sear the rested steaks for 1 to 1.5 minutes per side, and serve them right away.

You get a consistent pink all the way through, with no grey outside in pink middle. I have now done this 5 times without screwing up yet.

I think a lot of the big steak houses do this or the Souve boiling method, so they are ready to go, and then sear them right before serving.

We do salt and pepper, and maybe a little seasoning as well.

Rob Lay

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
  • Admin
My son convinced me to try the reverse sear method, and I am sold on it.

I haven't done it yet, but even most of the hard core grill snobs on Big Green Egg Members recommend this technique. i have to try it one of these days. I mean that's basically what you are looking for perfect consistent temp inside and then sear the outsides hot as possible for a little.

Rob Lay

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
  • Admin
my new video