Health & Fitness Pumping iron

Blathma

Reaction score
Any weightlifters, powerlifters or strongman training in here?

Cycling through Wendler 5/3/1 right now to set some new PRs in weak spots. Good simple program for progression.

Weight lifting in your 40's requires a lot more attention and planning then in your 20's where you could lift the world and not worry about injury...

The Real JJ

Reaction score
Man, you aren't kidding about more planning and care. I just looked at the Wendler 5/3/1. I can't do half of it due to prior injury! :/ Not being able to squat really sucks.

Blathma

Reaction score
Man, you aren't kidding about more planning and care. I just looked at the Wendler 5/3/1. I can't do half of it due to prior injury! :/ Not being able to squat really sucks.
Yeah that would, there are ways around squats. One of my favorites is the Bulgarian split squat, you don't have use a barbell or even dumbbells. Start with body weight and go for volume.

If it's due to lower back strain, the other option is the hexbar, it's closer to a deadlift but depending on form can engage the quads effectively while allowing for a neutral spine position.

In all honesty the lumber region should never be taxed for squats or deads. Neuromuscular firing of the right muscle groups to engage them really helps avoid injury. Lots of great warmup and feedback stretches to fire off the right groups.

The Real JJ

Reaction score
Yeah that would, there are ways around squats. One of my favorites is the Bulgarian split squat, you don't have use a barbell or even dumbbells. Start with body weight and go for volume.

If it's due to lower back strain, the other option is the hexbar, it's closer to a deadlift but depending on form can engage the quads effectively while allowing for a neutral spine position.

In all honesty the lumber region should never be taxed for squats or deads. Neuromuscular firing of the right muscle groups to engage them really helps avoid injury. Lots of great warmup and feedback stretches to fire off the right groups.
It's knees. 3 ACL reconstructions, the latest 25 years ago.

The Real JJ

Reaction score
Only if I'm willing to get a cortisone shot every few months. No shots needed since halting squats and deads.

Rob Lay

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the years I've thought about it. I've seen studies and seen it first hand how weight lifting from middle aged into your later years is the best for looking young, tight, and also improving your hormone levels. I only lifted in High School and College for swimming, pretty minimal 2-3 workouts a week. I think my bench only got up to 205. I could squat a bunch all legs, no arms. :) Right now I just focus on endurance activities. Unfortunately long hiking, cycling, and running are good for your weight, but the sun along with extended draining of your nutrients seems to hurt your youthful looks. So many GREAT endurance athletes that look like prunes 10-20 years older than they really are.

Blathma

Reaction score
Weight training like anything else requires knowledge and knowing the pros/cons. Take bodybuilding, while they do lift some impressive weight the goal is not about how much they can lift, but due to the high volume work it takes it's toll on joints,esp if not careful.

Powerlifting conversely is about max weight, that has it's downsides, not usually joints but muscle tears and tendon injures. Strongman is even crazier so injuries really run the gamut.

Weightlifting to get into and stay in shape can be injury free as long as you pay constant attention and do the stretches, warmups etc.

Benefits for weightlifting are fantastic.

I started out with basic weight training, then shifted to powerlifting dabbled in strongman and now do a hybrid of bodybuilding and powerlifting. Pure bodybuilding has far too much volume for me these days, I tried it for a yr 2yrs ago... Brutally kicked my ass, spending 4+hrs a day lifting 6 days/wk.. Yeah no thanks.

Hardest part isn't the lifting, it's the eating and getting sleep bit.

Batman

Reaction score
Hardest part isn't the lifting, it's the eating and getting sleep bit.
You nailed that one. Recovery is everything when you are an athlete of any type and even more important as we age. Have you gentleman tried Testosterone Therapy, HGH, Cryotherapy, Notrmatec therapy to recover from workouts? When I was lifting heavily a few years back I was using Test daily and HGH shots about three times a weeks. The HGH certainly helped with recovery. I was using both under a doctors guidance who worked out at the gym I went too and I would have monthly blood tests to see where all my levels were at. Curious to hear your experiences.

Blathma

Reaction score
Still natty, I figure at some point I'll need a boost, just not yet. Not liking the getting older bit, been watching my PRs drop a smidge every yr since turning 40... Solid 10% drop from my 20's... Sucks

Never liked the cold therapy options, hate the cold. Personally feel much better and recover faster after sauna or hot tub soaking. Cold is my kryptonite...