Lifestyle what have you done for your mind?

Rob Lay

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
what educational, experiential, or other activities have you done to maintain or expand a healthy mind?

Rob Lay

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
  • Admin
I have never been a big book person, but the internet fits my learning style perfectly whether online articles, wiki, or videos. Before that and even now about the only TV I watch is documentary or biography stuff. My undergrad and grad was in business, so not anything to make me smarter, but some exercise of the mind I guess.

For the last year I have been taking Mandarin. I am TERRIBLE at languages! I was most deaf until I was 4-5 and delayed some of my verbal development. My college SAT Math was closer to 700 and Verbal 500. :D I also have a weak memory, so studying a language is so hard for me. I'm having fun with it though as a good mental exercise and my girlfriend is from China.

I passed the China HSK 1, which is their first level language test. I was almost ready to take the HSK 2 in February when Corona hit.

79009750_10217110596570238_3555783697573609472_o.jpg

Blathma

Reaction score
Very cool, learning another language is one of those things that really get the grey matter cooking.

I've gotten addicted to audio books, find it a great way to relax and learn new things.

Reading also, always been a book worm.

Hands down though, best mind clearing focus... Weight lifting..

Rob Lay

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
  • Admin
I've gotten addicted to audio books, find it a great way to relax and learn new things.

I've heard that, I just don't spend much time in the car and can't motivate to to audio just out of the house. I have friends that listen to several quality podcasts this way, much better growth content than mindless TV etc.

Hands down though, best mind clearing focus... Weight lifting..

funny, but I start clearing my mind running or hiking, but seems to be negative. I get amped up about things, really negative, like "fighting" feelings, but as I cool down the anger goes away and then mind feels pretty good. I think it is like a massage that hurts when you're doing it, but feels great after. :D

Macav0

Reaction score
I've meditated on-and-off for a few years, but earlier this year I went through the Waking Up course. Formed a real habit, and it helps me manage my stress.

The other big one for me is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. After a good training session I feel amazing (body and mind). A good roll isn't just physical, it's like playing chess with your body.

J3L2404

Reaction score
A solid way of clearing the carbon out of your valves after a long day is to read. Sit in a chair next to a lamp with a Kindle or a paper book, and ease in to whatever you are reading. It helps me relax, and gives my brain something to chew on that isn't centered around reality.

My all time favorite type of reading is short stories. It takes a master of language to write an excellent short story; a really good short story can pack a lot of thought provoking ideas and emotions in a very tidy and short package.

My favorite series is The Best American Short Stories series of books that has been running since 1978. It's an annual anthology of the best short stories of that year. These anthologies are packed with stories by the very best authors of their time.

If Mia is a reader, she will love them.

There's a LOT of reading to do in that series.

My current reading is Folsom's New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR's Economic Legacy Has Damaged America .

and

FDR Goes to War: How Expanded Executive Power, Spiraling National Debt, and Restricted Civil Liberties Shaped Wartime America.

They are quick, easy reads, and full of references for people who like facts instead of fiction.

digman1

Reaction score
I have gotten back into reading during Covid. My first was a re-read of Shantaram, and amazing book about a guy on the run after escaping prison in Australia. He lands in India, and you live his experiences in the slums, learning the business of some India mobsters, and travels around the country in his adventures. It's 900+ pages, but I cannot put it down once started. The sequel, Mountain Shadows, is equally as good, and I read it while in India 2 years ago.

Mostly I read hand me down murder mysteries from my wife.

I am trudging through Ken Follett's " Wings of Eagles", book about Ross Perot's mission to break his employees out of jail in Iran, about the time the Shah was going down. Very detailed book, but a good read. We are working for his company's development arm, and got sent the book as a Christmas present. He brought in Bull Simons, ex military leader, for the mission, and he is a John Wayne style leader. When Perot Systems bid the utlilties for their huge complex in Plano Texas, you had to meet with Bull, and he would drive you around the property in his fortified company Suburban. He had some great stories !

I do feel better about going home from the office early, and reading, versus vegging out to mindless TV.

Robsmom

Reaction score
During Covid I’ve learned to do audio books. My rule of thumb is if I don’t get into a book after 50 pages, I go to another book. Reading relaxes me and I enjoy it. I’ve also learned how to do “Memory Books” On Shutterfly, and going through boxes of pictures has been good for me. I keep some and throw some, but I know no one else will do this, and learning this skill is good for me. Rob, Mia, and friends seem to enjoy the end projects

Rob Lay

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
  • Admin
be mindful in 2021. :)

Top-5-Scientific-Findings-on-MeditationMindfulness-881x710.jpeg