Ten Gift Ideas for Men

With the holidays coming up quickly, and birthdays being pretty constant, it can be a struggle to brainstorm what the men in your life might want for a gift.

Here, I’m going to offer ten ideas that I think most men will enjoy as gifts. Generally, I like gifts that last a long time and are something that the recipient will find useful in their daily lives. Thus, a lot of the gifts here will be practical. But, with that said, I’ll also cover some ideas that are focused, purposely, on being outside of the experiences of a lot of men.

Books

It might be because I’m an academic by training, but I’m of the view that most people need to read more. If for no other reason, a book is a great opportunity to sit for a while, get some quiet, and disconnect from the hectic daily lives most of us live, at least for a little while.

I’ll make two specific recommendations here. First are the Meditations by Marcus Aurelius: it’s the journal of a Roman Emperor. I’d also highly recommend Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K Dick: that one is the book that inspired the Blade Runner series of films.

Cedar Shoe Trees

For a lot of men, a pair of nice leather dress shoes or boots is a relatively hefty investment. If taken care of properly, they can also last a lifetime, assuming you keep putting soles on them when necessary.

To keep shoes and boots looking and smelling their best, I highly recommend cedar shoe trees that will soak up moisture, keep the shoe in the correct shape, and can reduce leather creasing over time. With just a little shoe care, these can help maintain a pair of shoes for decades.

A Multi-Tool

Without fail, every few years someone gets me a multi-tool. At this point, I have one in the kitchen, another in my glove box, a small one I keep in my work bag, and a final one stashed in a tool bag.

No matter how many I get, I find myself getting some use out of every multi-tool I get my hands on, and I can’t count the number of times someone has asked to borrow one of mine. A specific recommendation I’ll make is to think about getting one without a blade that is TSA compliant for someone in your life who travels a lot.

A Date Night

In a lot of our society, men are more or less expected to pay for things like dates. Here, I want to suggest flipping the script. Especially if the man you’re thinking of often does the cooking at home or the paying on dates, surprising him with a night out can be an awesome surprise.

If he has a sure favorite, this is a good opportunity to take him there. Otherwise, I suggest finding a locally owned restaurant that you can support when they need it the most.

A Spa Day

In a similar vein, a lot of guys are a little bit intimidated of the spa, or, at the very least, are a little uncomfortable with the idea. I think that’s sort of a shame: taking a little time to relax and take care of ourselves is exactly what a lot of people, men in particular, need to do on a regular basis to keep up with our responsibilities.

Beyond just relaxing, some time getting a massage or soaking in a hot tub is an excellent way to release some of the tension that gives a lot of us our back and neck aches.

New Tools

If the man you’re thinking up gift ideas for is the handy sort, then a new tool might be just the thing he’s looking for in terms of a gift. If there’s a project he’s been talking about but doesn’t have the right tools for the job, then there’s your gift idea.

If he's handy but not working on a project, I would go with one of the new battery operated tools that share batteries with something he already has. For instance, I have a handy portable vacuum that runs on the same batteries as my drill, and I love the convenience of it.

Good Socks

Generally, socks are an awful gift that seems sort of thoughtless. I want to change your mind on this with some quality socks.

For example, I’ve been wearing Darn Tough socks for a few years now, and I’ve found that they make a real difference in how comfortable I am on long days, especially when the weather is especially hot or cold. All-wool or wool blend socks are a game-changer in terms of quality of life over cheap cotton socks, and I think that’s what makes them a great gift idea.

A Reusable Water Bottle

Getting into the territory of stocking stuffers, a lot of folks are still using single-use plastic bottles, which is making our global environmental challenges a lot worse.

Getting someone in your life a reusable water bottle might well keep several hundred bottles out of the ocean per year, and I think that makes it a great gift. Also, we all need to drink more water for our health.

Better Writing Utensils

For most white-collar folks, your daily writing of to-do lists, notes, and the like is done with some nondescript ball-point pen from the office supply cabinet.

In an attempt to make everyday tasks feel a little more special, I like using something a little nicer, such as a mechanical pencil with an all-metal body, or, from time to time, even a fountain pen. It’s a small thing, but can be a tool that makes work feel a little more upscale and sophisticated.

Upgraded Luggage

A lot of dudes are still using a cheap set of luggage that’s likely to fail on them at any moment. While I think it’s wise to be frugal with checked bags that airlines might well lose, spending a little more on a nice carry-on such as a duffel bag or a backpack is well worth it for travelers.

Here I’ve outlined ten gifts I think most men would like to receive whether it’s for Christmas or some other event. Hopefully, at least something on this list helps get your gift-giving creativity flowing.
About author
G
Garrett is a writer and commentator based in the South. His areas of expertise lie in cooking, fashion, and the outdoors among others. He has been writing and educating professionally for years, and enjoys creating online discourses around positively masculine spaces.

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Article information

Author
GCurtis
Views
Last update

More in Hobbies & Activities

More from GCurtis