Oven Roasted Prime Rib

Now that the holidays are upon us, it’s time to start planning some excellent holiday meals. The other day, I noticed that my local grocery store had standing beef rib roasts on sale, and I thought that I’d give it a try. Following some advice from my dad, who has made this before to great effect, I got the necessary tools to make it and it came out, honestly, at least as well as any restaurant steak I’ve ever had.

So, to keep things simple I’ll start out listing the tools and ingredients you’ll need, followed by my process to make excellent prime rib.

As far as tools, you’ll need:
A large roasting pan.
The rack that should come with the aforementioned roasting pan.
Some cooking twine (if the roast did not come pre-tied as mine have).
A meat thermometer (this is absolutely vital. I have a cheap digital model that I use daily).
One extremely sharp carving knife.
Aluminum foil.
I also recommend a carving fork.

The ingredients list is dead simple on this one:
One standing beef rib roast.
Salt.
Pepper.

To make it, here’s what I did:
First and foremost, move a rack to the bottom of the oven and take the rest out. No need to have to mess with a hot oven rack.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. My roast came with twine already on it, and it had more than decent marbling. I recommend taking the time to look for the best roast in the store to save you any time and effort in trimming.

A decent butcher at a grocery store will also twine it for you, usually for free. If you’d rather do it yourself, simply tie a length of twine around the circumference of the roast every two or three inches to make sure it stays together in your pan.

From there, salt and pepper the roast generously: this tastes good enough on its own to not need anything else in way of seasoning.

Once the oven is preheated, pop the roast onto the rack, into the pan, and finally into the oven. Let this cook for 30 min, then reduce the temperature to 350 and give it an hour.

Pull the roast out at the end of the hour and test the thickest part with a meat thermometer. At this point, my 8 lb roast was at about 85 degrees, so I put it back in for another hour. At the end of the second hour, the internal temperature was at 120. I pulled the roast out there and then covered it with foil for 30 minutes while I roasted some potatoes.

As far as doneness goes, I pull my roasts out at 120, knowing the internal temperature will come up to 130, resulting in a medium-rare prime rib in the middle with some excellent beef ribs on the side.

This goes awesome with a full-bodied red wine, some potatoes, and asparagus. Also, I highly recommend saving the bones to make beef stock later!
About author
G
Garrett is a writer and commentator based in the South. His areas of expertise lie in cooking, fashion, and the outdoors among others. He has been writing and educating professionally for years, and enjoys creating online discourses around positively masculine spaces.

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Article information

Author
GCurtis
Views
Last update

More in Grilling & Cooking

More from GCurtis